(From the December Newsletter. Click here to subscribe.)
Best wishes and happy holidays,
The Eat Move Sleep Gift Guide
– Give yourself the gift of consistent sleep. New research shows how stable sleep times lead to better food choices.
– Walk and talk your way through the holidays. Every time you are on the phone, perhaps as you catch-up with friends and family over the holidays, challenge yourself to walk around your home, workspace, or neighborhood while you talk. Wireless and Bluetooth headsets make this remarkably easy.
– Go green out of the gates. Start each of your holiday meals by loading up on healthy green, red, and orange veggies before you move on to less healthy items. You will eat smaller quantities of the unhealthy items as a result.
– Get a basic pedometer and aim for at least 10,000 steps every day of 2014.
– Buy one of your best friends an even higher-tech activity and sleep tracker like a Fitbit, Jawbone, FuelBand, or any other device and app combo. Use the associated apps to build a leaderboard and start a little competition for 2014.
Splurge on Health (remember it will pay for itself in the long-run):
– Build or buy a sit/stand desk.
– Try a pedal desk or read and work on a stationary bike.
– Go all out and buy a walking desk for your home or office.